After a recent outburst at school, Yuki and Kakeru visit Machi at her home to find out what was wrong. It’s also time for goodbyes as the senior year graduate and moves on to the next stage of their lives.
Snowflakes drifted through the air, threatening to cover the ground and pile extra stress on Machi’s shoulders. It was just too much. She couldn’t take it anymore and lashed out, knocking a brand new box of chalk to the floor. News of her outburst got back to the student council and Yuki, along with some more outrageous gossip.
When Machi showed up, she overheard the girls gossiping about her and ran off before Yuki could say anything. Kakeru, however, had a plan. He was going to take Yuki to Machi’s apartment so that he could ask her himself. Yuki was reluctant, but Kakeru isn’t someone that takes no for an answer. They arrived at Machi’s apartment and barged in. Well, Kakeru barged in, dragging Yuki behind him. Yuki was surprised at the mess and even more surprised when Kakeru handed him something…
Once Kakeru had gone to take out the trash, Yuki asked Machi if she hated perfection. It seemed like an odd question, but Machi brokedown, confiding in him that her mother had demanded perfection from her in an attempt to become air to the family. However, this had stripped Machi of any life beyond studying. Her mother had a second child, a boy, and was relieved to succeed after failing with Machi… Of course, she told Machi that too!
Machi explained that she had been going to cover up her little brother from the cold when her parents burst in and overreacted accusing her of attempting to murder him. That was when they made her live alone, basically throwing her out of the family. Yuki promised that if the snow settled, he would walk footprints in it with her. They looked like they were about to kiss, but then Kakeru’s phone went off, revealing his hiding place and spoiled the mood.
Before graduation, Motoko, president of the Yuki fan club, asked to meet with Yuki and was surprised to see him show up. She thanked him for making her school life fun. Her words touched Yuki who thanked her. The senior class moved on, leaving Yuki’s year to move one step closer to life after school!
What did you think?
Why is there always someone cutting onions when I watch Fruits Basket? How do they know and where are they doing it? In all reality, this was another fantastic episode of Fruits Basket. It did an incredible job of capturing the emotions of leaving school. I wouldn’t say that I loved school, but I know the mixed feelings of moving on after spending so long working towards a goal. You can’t help but get caught up in it. This episode brought that all back.
Of course, that wasn’t all. The scene between Yuki and Machi is incredible. Yet again, Fruits Basket delivers on its promise to uncover the world’s shittiest parents and this time they were Machi’s parents. So, when Yuki stepped in and did what they should have done all those years ago, it wasn’t hard to see why it would have that impact on Machi. Then, when the snow melted and there was no chance to walk in it together, Yuki threw down his most impressively nonchalant act of chivalry by casually reaching over and snapping a chalk in two, saving Machi from the horror of perfection. Smooth move, dude! Smooth move!
What have you learnt?
For an episode where there really wasn’t that much happening, it was amazing to see just how well it held my attention. I started watching and then, moments later, it felt like it was over. You know that it’s captivating when time moves at a different speed. Is that the theory of relativity at work?
Anyhow, I feel like I need to mention a character that I didn’t instantly gel with and how he turned me around and is now one of my favourites. I am, of course, talking about Kakeru. He is the perfect foil to Yuki and his calm approach to everything. Kakeru makes things happen. He made Yuki open up to him and continues to help him along. He also is a lot of fun and delivers some truly hilarious moments.
I should also mention Motoko, who I softened on back at the beginning of season two. She had a great moment with Yuki and I would have been fine with that going somewhere… Well, until Machi came along. Is this a warning sign that my opinions of Akito will be turned? I hope not. Also, what was Ren doing with those scissors? I think she’s just turned Rin into a boy and will somehow use her to mess with Akito. This should be interesting!
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon