Momiji decides that they should have a watermelon splitting contest, but is woefully unprepared. The fun and games are all cut short, however, when Akito arrives and asks to see everyone. Everyone but Kyo and Tohru!
After Hiro’s comments, Tohru had realised that she knew almost nothing of everyone’s parents and suddenly became self-conscious that she was always going on about her mom. It put a strange twist on most of her conversations and Kyo noticed. When Tohru asked about Kyo’s parents, he told her that he was estranged from his father and that his mother had kill… died in an accident. Meanwhile, Akito arrived at the summer house and bumped into Yuki who was walking alone. Shigure then took the other Somas, excluding Kyo, to meet Akito. Later, Tohru went out to see if she could find them and bumped into Yuki who revealed that he was the boy that saved her when she was lost, but in truth, she saved him as it was the first time he’d ever felt needed.
What did you think?
So, we’ve finally got the answer about the hat that Tohru has been keeping since she was a little girl and, of course, it was Yuki’s. The significance of the hat and Tohru keeping it became that much more important when you realise that Yuki had spent his entire life being abused by Akito and told that he was worthless, but the first time he escaped, he was able to prove Akito wrong.
On top of that, Kyo let a little bit of information slip and I think that it ties back to the end of episode 14 when he whispered that he was sorry to a sleeping Tohru. My theory from that point was that Kyo was actually Kyoko son, too. It may still be a stretch and if that falls away, I still feel pretty confident that Kyo was somehow involved in Kyoko’s death. Now, from this, it might have been that his mother’s “accident” was to blame.
Also, I love the way this series can switch between the happy and fun moments to the darker moments along with the introduction of Akito. The atmosphere changes and you can sense the dread and tension in the characters. As always, this series is simply a work of art.
What have you learnt?
Akito doesn’t necessarily come off as a particularly dangerous and menacing person, but the way people react is what turns the atmosphere. You can see the fear and hatred in their eyes, their stances, and the way they behave. I love this idea of painting a character based on other’s perceptions, especially if they don’t align with what we see. When you have this sort of situation in a series with Tohru Honda who is the complete opposite, it really makes it that much more intense. I love the way Akito has been brought to life in Fruits Basket, even if I can’t stand the actual character.
Other reviews in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth