Another Soma rolls into town and this time it’s Haru, but is it Light Haru or Dark Haru? Either way, it’s going to be another thing for Tohru to worry about!
What did you watch?
So, Fruits Basket’s air time was delayed in Japan due to the coverage for the French Open. As a result, it was delayed around the world, which is why this post is coming a day later than usual. Now, I like tennis as much as the next person, but come on! Anyhow, back to Fruits Basket. I’ve heard rumours of this season having 24 and 26 episodes and that there will be a second season with the same amount. Unfortunately, none of that is confirmed, so nothing’s really changed!
It’s marathon day at school and Tohru isn’t particularly looking forward to it. Kyo, however, sees it as the perfect chance to challenge Yuki, especially as Yuki is developing a cold. With the challenge delivered there will be no backing out, cold or not. The girls gather at the starting line, but Arisa is missing. At least Tohru will have Saki to keep her company, well, for the first couple of steps anyhow…
Further into the race, Tohru sees a man with white hair lying beside the course. Assuming that it’s an elder man that’s fallen, she runs to help. It’s not. It’s yet another Soma and he’s looking for Yuki and Kyo, although more specifically Kyo. As soon as they arrive the mystery Soma challenges Kyo to a fight and before Tohru can object, it’s on!
What did you think?
After the last couple of episodes that really pulled at your emotions, it was nice to have a lighter and funnier episode. Kyo and Yuki continued to fight and bicker, but it was the introduction of Haru that really made the episode, especially when he switched to Dark Haru. And then Shigure popped up at the end with a couple of great lines. So far, I think they’ve made great use of all of the characters to bring variety to the series.
What was your favourite moment?
There was a moment during Kyo and Haru’s fight when Yuki was telling Tohru about Haru. He mentioned Dark Haru and how that whenever they got together they had to fight. She made a comment that it was like Kagura and he said, “No, it’s much worse.” Just as Haru gently cradled his chin and stared into his eyes, before jumping back into the fight. This moment was so brilliantly absurd that I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.
What was your least favourite moment?
The sign of a good episode is when I can’t find a single least favourite moment. I think everything worked and was perfectly balanced. You had the great little moments that looked like Saki had discovered the truth, but she was just destroying his classmates at poker, and then Shigure selflessly going to collect Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo’s stuff from school… well, that’s what Tohru thought, but Shigure walked off thinking “High school girls, high school girls!”
Who was your favourite character?
Without a doubt, it was Haru. He was excellent. Never has a character been so all over the place and yet completely believable. In the beginning, he was looking cool and serious, even the passing girls were noticing him and then he put on his riding gloves, goggles, and jumped onto his bike. Brilliant! He was up and down, challenging Kyo, calling off the fight to help Yuki, hugging Tohru so that he could turn into a cow, and then revealing that Yuki was his first love. There were so many fun moments with Haru, I hope he hangs around.
Who was your least favourite character?
Wow! Again, I can’t think of anyone. Even, Hatori’s very brief appearance at the end was funny. It was a shame not to see Arisa in this episode, because it would have been funny to see her completely oppose being forced to run the marathon, but I understand why she just skipped it. Saki also continues to steal the show with her brief cameos.
Would you like some more?
I am all in on this series and I never thought I would be. Once more, it’s another reason to watch outside of your comfort zone. Since I started watching seasonal anime, I am repeatedly surprised by the shows that I was not expecting it from. Sure, there have been ones I was expecting to like and did, and also ones that I wasn’t and didn’t, but if I hadn’t taken a chance on those shows, I would have missed out on so many great series.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth
- Episode 53 – I Hope It Snows Soon
- Episode 54 – I’m… Home.
- Episode 55 – I Mean… You Know, Right?
- Episode 56 – It Was So Foolish
- Episode 57 – That’s Right, It’s Empty
- Episode 58 – I’m Disappointed in You
- Episode 59 – What’s Your Name?
- Episode 60 – I Just Love Her
- Episode 61 – Goodbye
- Episode 62 – You Fought Well
- Episode 63 – See You Again Soon