It turns out Tohru is still using her middle school swimming costume, so Arisa and Saki strong-arm Yuki and Kyo into helping them buy her a new one. Shigure is also one hundred percent behind this enterprise!
What did you watch?
There’s still no progress on my Kyo-Kyoko theory (see last episode’s post for details), but I feel like we’re building up to something, especially as this was a fairly lighthearted episode with the exception of Arisa’s flashbacks. It’s worth noting of the three shows I decided to watch last season, this is starting to pull ahead. At the very least, it has been consistently good. Anyhow, get ready for the spoilers.
So, in typical fashion, Tohru still uses the same swimsuit as she did in middle school. It still fits, so there’s no point getting rid of it. Well, Arisa has finally had enough and with Saki’s help, she visits the Somas to tell them to help them buy Tohru a new swimsuit. It’s the least they can do considering all the work she does for them. Kyo and Yuki are fine with the idea, but not sure why they need to come along, while Shigure is adamant that Tohru gets a new swimsuit!
While shopping, they end up going for lunch where Arisa tells them about how she first met Tohru. It involved Tohru’s mother who used to be the head of a biker gang. Arisa had never met her, but the stories built up a picture in her head. Then, when she discovered that the daughter of the legendary Crimson Butterfly was in her school, she had to track her down. Tohru was not at all what she was expecting.
What did you think?
It was another slower episode which focused mainly on Arisa Uotani, one of Tohru’s closest friends. There were fun elements where they took Kyo and Yuki to buy a swimsuit and Arisa took every chance she could to embarrass them in public. They really are a couple of delicate flowers, getting embarrassed about swimsuits. It’s Tohru! She’s not going to pick out something obscene, not even remotely. It would surprise me if she ends up with a swimsuit that looked exactly like her old one but in pink.
What was your favourite moment?
I love the way Saki and Arisa show up as the bitchy girls are talking about them or Tohru and scare the life out of them. Saki emerging from the water like some sort of ghoul was hilarious. After that, I think Shigure’s reaction to finding out that Tohru still wears her middle school swimsuit was excellent, spitting out his tea and telling her to get a new swimsuit as a priority.
What was your least favourite moment?
The new OP stood out like a Hawaiian shirt at a funeral in this episode. It’s upbeat and fun, which might be fine, but definitely not on this occasion. The opening scene showed a young Arisa coming home to find her dad watching TV surrounded by empty alcohol bottles, and then subsequently dropping to the floor behind her bedroom door. It was dark and sad. You could feel her pain and how alone she was, so imagine immediately following that with a light and cheerful OP! It really didn’t work and on the whole, I don’t think it fits with the tone of the episode, unlike the first OP which would have worked.
Who was your favourite character?
Arisa has been one of my favourite characters from the beginning of the series, so it was great to finally get to see a little glimpse into her past. There’s still a lot to learn, but I feel like it will continue into the next episode. She was, and still is, a complete badass, although now she’s a little more relaxed, no doubt from the influence of Tohru and Kyoko. It was very sad watching her life before Tohru, especially compared to how she is now.
Who was your least favourite character?
I’m going to go with Kyo and Yuki again. That’s two weeks in a row that neither has really done anything. Normally, that might be fine, but both clearly have something incredibly important that they need to say to Tohru, so step up and get it done already. I feel like it’s being dragged out so that it can be a big end of season reveal. If that’s the case, why push it so hard a couple of weeks ago?
Would you like some more?
As I said earlier, this series has been consistently good and as long as it keeps it up, I will keep on enjoying it. Sure, there have been slower episodes and this one felt more like that, but the character development is excellent. Whether they’re introducing new characters or revealing more about the ones we’ve already met, it doesn’t seem to matter. I would like to start to get some answers, which may be a way off if the reports of sixty-three episodes is correct. It doesn’t have to be everything, but I would like to get to the bottom of what’s troubling Kyo at least.
Other posts in the series
- Season One
- Episode 1 – See You After School
- Episode 2 – They’re All Animals!
- Episode 3 – Let’s Play Rich Man, Poor Man!
- Episode 4 – What Year Is She?
- Episode 5 – I’ve Been Fooling Myself
- Episode 6 – Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over
- Episode 7 – Spring Comes
- Episode 8 – See You When You Get Back
- Episode 9 – Yuki Was My First Love
- Episode 10 – It’s Valentine’s, After All
- Episode 11 – This is a Wonderful Inn
- Episode 12 – You Look Like You’re Having Fun
- Episode 13 – How Have You Been, My Brother?
- Episode 14 – That’s a Secret
- Episode 15 – I Wouldn’t Say That
- Episode 16 – She Said Don’t Step on Them!
- Episode 17 – This Is for Uo-chan!
- Episode 18 – What’s Important Is…
- Episode 19 – I’m So Sorry!
- Episode 20 – I Can’t Believe You Picked It Up
- Episode 21 – I Never Back Down from a Wave Fight
- Episode 22 – Because I Was Happy
- Episode 23 – You Look Well…
- Episode 24 – Let’s Go Home
- Episode 25 – Summer Will Be Here Soon
- Season Two
- Episode 26 – Hello Again
- Episode 27 – Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Episode 28 – Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Episode 29 – I Got Dumped…
- Episode 30 – Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Episode 31 – Are you really this stupid?
- Episode 32 – Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Episode 33 – Well, It’s True
- Episode 34 – My Precious…
- Episode 35 – Who Are You?
- Episode 36 – All Mine
- Episode 37 – You Cried for Me
- Episode 38 – Sure Thing
- Episode 39 – I Should Just Die…
- Episode 40 – See You Later
- Episode 41 – Ask Him For Me
- Episode 42 – You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Episode 43 – Do You Wanna Kiss?
- Episode 44 – There’s Just No Way!
- Episode 45 – Are You Okay?
- Episode 46 – There Was, Definitely
- Episode 47 – That Isn’t What I Want
- Episode 48 – It’s Cinderella-ish
- Episode 49 – Here You Are
- Episode 50 – I’m Different Now
- Season Three
- Episode 51 – I’ll Hold Another Banquet
- Episode 52 – That’s an Unwavering Truth